Monday, January 1, 2018

Ending 2017 with a Bang!

End of 2017

As always, I was quite busy the last few weeks of the year!

I entered yet one more challenge...a coat challenge! It was sponsored by Alethia Hudson and the Admins in the Sew Much Talent Group! It started as an Admin Challenge and was then extended to the entire group!  And boy did we respond!  There were sew many entries! At the time of this post, there is about 1 hour left to complete a coat and enter it.  Mine was completed last week, but I didn't enter it until yesterday when my photos were taken by my Granddaughter, Charly.


MY CHALLENGE COAT
I used McCall's 9576 - which is now an OOP (out of print) pattern.  Both sides of this reversible coat were made with fleece.  The solid is from my stash, the print is from Joann's Fabrics. It is so, so warm and cozy!

This coat was an easy make and has in-seam pockets on both sides...which I absolutely love! I used a white with silver dotted fat quarter from my stash for the pockets.  And...if you can believe it, I did not hack this pattern at all!  LOL!  It is perfect just the way it was designed.

  I love both sides of this coat!
 I also made a fringed scarf - gotta use up all those scraps, right? 😃
Surprise!  I also made a reversible hoodie scarf!


SEWING WITH MY GRANDDAUGHTER 

HER DUSTER

I started teaching my Granddaughter, Charly  to sew when she was 8 years old.  Since then, even though she lives out of state, we have sewn together whenever possible.  She recently told me that she wants to make several outfits, so I invited her to visit for a week or so before school resumes so that we could start working on them.  What a blast it has been sewing with her these past few days.  I now consider her to be an intermediate beginner.  I'm a proud Grandma!

Her 1st choice was to make a duster.  We used Vogue 9123 and an Ankara print fabric purchased from my friend, Femi's website.

We did some hacking of this pattern. We eliminated the lining and buttons, added darts in the front and back for additional shaping, shortened the sleeves and lengthened the coat by 4 inches.

Charly learned several new skills while making this duster...grading patterns, serging without fear, sewing curves, adding facings, understitching and proper pressing.


Look at that smile!
We had a blast...we sewed, laughed, took and posted pictures, uploaded videos to her YouTube channel: Charly with a Y, my FaceBook Business page and FaceBook Group page as well as my Instagram page.



HER PANTS

She designed and finished her pants today (Dec 31st)! We used a previous pattern that I'd drafted for her.


We hacked it a bit...by eliminating the side seams as we didn't want to distort this pretty Ankara print! And we tapered the legs and added elastic to the ankles (Charly's design).
Happy girl!


We have a few more outfits to get done, but only one more day together...so we will make one more piece before she heads home. And I will complete the rest for her.  She has a ton of pictures for me! Watch for them as I attempt to bring her vision to life!
 LOL!


HAPPY NEW YEAR!
This year has been quite eventful for me in many ways! I look forward to new adventures in 2018!
My sincere thanks to each of you for your support, encouragement and prayers!

The Floral Challenge

This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click through and make a purchase from these links, I may earn a small comm...